Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Maiden Blog Post...Ship Joke

Hey ladies! Ah, the first post of a new blog, full of excitement and possibilities. Before we all start bonding and lamenting together, let me give you a quick background on the purpose of this blog. My boyfriend is currently slaving away at Great Lakes Naval Base in boot camp, training to be a world class sailor. I, on the other hand, am snowed in in my little apartment with nothing to do but cry onto my laptop, going through facebook pictures of the two of us and watch youtube videos of pictures of people I've never met set to "I'm Proud To Be An American" that only make me cry more.

I decided that I need something to do while Dave is gone that can help me cope and maybe help some fellow Navy girlfriends, fiancées, and wives. Since I am a comedian/humorist/hip hop dancer, I figured I could start a blog for us, not just to mourn our men being gone, but to have a few laughs, because frankly, we need that right now. Confession. I am not a hip hop dancer...but I do a mean "shopping cart."

I'm sure I'm newer to this lifestyle than many of you, as my man is still in basic, but I think I've still come up with some great ideas on how to entertain yourself while your man is away:

-Learn a musical instrument. I have purchased a ukulele and have almost mastered the art of tuning it.

-Pick up crocheting, needlepoint, or knitting. When Dave comes back, he'll have about 32 scarf-like chunks of yarn. Maybe I'll tell him they're pot holders...or placemats...or just throw them away.

-Take some time to get out and tour your city. Just try to avoid places that happy couples tend to populate, as you can become suddenly enraged or violent. Good places to go for some alone time are bookstores, coffee shops, or the movies. All of these are places that people should keep quiet anyway, giving you every right to throw something at a happily chatting couple.

-Get your girlfriends together and enjoy a ladies night. Your sailor probably wouldn't mind missing a night of pedicures, facials, and hair braiding anyway...at least not the hair braiding.

-Use the time to work on yourself, so when he gets back you look even more amazing than when he left, if that's even possible. ;) Start eating right and working out. At the very least, enjoy some work out tapes over a bowl of ice cream. Laughing at the people suffering and sweating on screen still burns calories.

-Work on your cooking so you can surprise him with your fabulous Betty Crocker skills upon his return. As they say, "The way to a man's heart is through enough cookies, cake, and brownies to feed a third world country."

-Find a blog you like and follow it religiously. Like every day. And tell your friends, family, and fellow military ladies how much you love it and that they should follow it, too. It's a great way to pass time and maybe even chuckle a little.

Alright, girls. Check back in soon. We can all have each other's backs in these hard times, and remember that it's okay to laugh. In fact, it's encouraged. Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment