Saturday, February 5, 2011

To Hear His Voice

Hello, lovely ladies! Let me start by saying, this past week has been rough. Because of "Snowpocalypse 2011" in Chicago, my usual letter from Dave did not come. Without my letter, I had become convinced that the sun would never shine again, there was no beauty in the world, and that God had surely turned his back on us all. I got my letter Friday and my faith in God and humanity was quickly restored. To improve matters even MORE I got a surprise call from Dave on Friday afternoon and got to talk to him for a magical *30* minutes! The sound of his voice was more pleasant than a heavenly host of angels singing Handel's "Messiah" in perfect harmony, lead by Mariah Carey.

I find it crazy that the mere sound of someone's voice can make your heart flutter like the very first time you kissed. Really, he could have called and told me that aliens were attacking and we were all going to have to relocate to an underwater city and all I would have heard was, "You are so pretty. I love you to death and can't wait to see you again. Did I mention how pretty you are?"

One thing that's so difficult about phone calls for military couples is they can be so infrequent and short that you have to fit in so much in a short period of time. Unfortunately, due to this fact, some conversations end up sounding like this:

Sailor: Hey, baby!

Girlfriend: Hey, love! It's so good to hear from you!

Sailor: How have you been?

Girlfriend: Well, workisgoodandmyfamily'sdoingwell,butthoseclassesI'mtakingcanbekindofstressfulandoh,mygosh,imiss yousomuchandIwishyouwerehere!Youmeansomuchtomeandthingsaren'tthesameherewithoutyou.Howare
doing?

Sailor: Same.

Sailor/Girlfriend: K.Loveyou.Bye!


While I'm certain this is not always the case, such conversations can put stress on a relationship. Just remember to really take in and enjoy any communication you do get, and more importantly, try to breathe between words. Passing out makes the conversation even shorter. Hang in there and have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christi, my sailor's currently deployed and I was looking for some relief. Especially with all the depressing Vday songs and movies being everywhere. I came across your blog and read your posts, your hilarious. Thanks for relieving some tension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, brittany...i'm certainly glad i could help...that's the whole purpose of this blog...through all the heartache, there's a reason we chose this life...it can be AMAZING...and there can certainly still be laughter along the way.

    ReplyDelete